Micro Needling – A new way to make collagen and a favourite with celebrities such as Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie….the secret behind their flawless skin. Now you can have the same flawless skin.
Micro Needling is also called Collagen Induction Therapy and is used to improve
- Pigmentation • Texture and tone • Surface scarring • Fine wrinkles
Dermapen™ Micro-Needle skin therapy is a treatment that uses very fine needles to cause tiny punctures in the skin. These small contact points encourage the body to create a wound healing response and renew the skin cells. As your skin repairs, the production of collagen and elastin is triggered to give an almost immediate plumping effect. This treatment is most commonly used to combat scarring, enlarged pores, lines and wrinkles, loose and non-elastic skin, eye-bags, sun damage and age spots.
Micro-needling treatment is therefore based on stimulating the natural rejuvenating power of the skin to achieve a youthful complexion.
The Dermapen™ is a revolutionary micro-needling device which aims to tighten, lift and rejuvenate skin. The Dermapen™ can visibly improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, scars (surgical, acne, trauma), stretch marks and pigmentation. The results of treatment with Dermapen™ are clearly shown in the images below.
Before Micro-Needling Treatment:
- Prior to the Dermapen™ Micro-Needling treatment, please observe the following:
- No Retin-A products or applications 12 hours prior to your treatment.
- No auto-immune therapies or products 12 hours prior to your treatment.
- No prolonged sun exposure to the face 24 hours prior to your treatment. A Dermapen™treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- On the day of the treatment, please keep your face clean and do not apply makeup.
- If an active or extreme breakout occurs before treatment, please consult your practitioner.
What Can Be Expected:
- After your Dermapen™ Micro Needling treatment, please be aware and observe the following:
- Immediately after your treatment, you will look as though you have a moderate to severe sunburn and your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual. This is normal and will subside after 1 to 2 hours and will normally diminish within the same day or 24 hours. You may see slight redness after 24 hours but only in minimal areas or spots.
- Your practitioner will discuss post-procedure skincare following the treatment to help soothe, calm, and protect the skin. Continue to treat the skin gently for 3 days. Normal skincare can be resumed again after Day 3.
After Microneedling Treatment:
Be certain to adhere to the following post-treatment instructions:
- CLEAN – Use a gentle cleanse and tepid water to cleanse the face for the following 72 hours and gently dry the treated skin. Always make sure that your hands are clean when touching the treated area.
- HEAL – Serum antioxidants are recommended post-treatment as the properties are ideal to help heal the skin. These products can help soothe the skin and lessen irritation.
- HYDRATE – Following your Micro-Needling treatment, your skin may feel drier than normal. Hyaluronic Acid is an ideal ingredient to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance.
- STIMULATE – In the days following your Dermapen™ treatment, and as the skin starts to regenerate, collagen stimulating peptides are ideal to continue the stimulation.
- MAKEUP – It is recommended that makeup should not be applied for 24 hours after the procedure. Do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if it is not clean.
- PROTECT – Immediately after the procedure, apply a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF 25 or greater. A chemical-free sunscreen is highly recommended.
What to Avoid:
- To ensure the proper healing environment, be certain to observe the following:
- For at least 3 days post treatment, do NOT use any Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula) or anything perceived as ‘active’ skincare.
- Avoid intentional and direct sunlight for 24 hours. No tanning beds.
- Do not go swimming for at least 24 hours post-treatment.
- No exercising or strenuous activity for the first 24 hours post-treatment. Sweating and gym environments are harmful, rife with bacteria, and may cause adverse reactions.
Micro needling with Dermapen vs Dermal rolling
Dermal rollers are simpler, less tech-savvy predecessors to the Dermapen™. A dermal roller consists of a rolling pin covered with tiny needles. During a derma roller treatment, the roller is rolled across the skin, leaving behind a trail of microscopic punctures. While the needle roller is effective, the rolling action of the device pushes the skin into mounds, and causes the needles to enter AND exit the skin at an angle, creating lateral epidermal tears. The tearing is NOT due to the needles not being “properly anchored” in the skin, but the simple mechanics of angular needle entry. Whilst not detrimental to the results, this makes the treatment much more painful, and often causes a longer downtime for the patient.
The Dermapen™’s needles enter the skin at a 90 degree angle, eliminating the pain and epidermal tearing associated with dermal rollers. Dermapen™’s patent-pending AOVN™ technology keeps the oscillation speed of the motor at its optimal rate for smooth, drag-less operation
The character of the micro-wounds seen with the dermal roller is much more traumatic to the skin; instead of a rapid vertical needle insertion and withdrawal, dermal rollers dig into the skin and create more of a tearing wound, and may be responsible for the longer downtime.